Friday, July 11, 2008

I survived the 61C

This has nothing to do with Noah...but today was a big day for me. I had to take the bus to work. I signed up for a 3 day a week parking pass. I work 4, so that leaves one day to take the bus. So, I drive to the park and ride, and first, I'm freaking out because 61 C is not listed on the little bus sign. But, I decide to wait anyway. I sit in my car because I didn't want to sit at the little bus house by myself. I can see the road, and figured I'd hop out when I saw the bus turning. Of course, as soon as the bus turns towards the bus house, a guy is backing in right next to me, so I can't throw open my door and jump out. CRAP! I was relieved that it was my bus...but it just drove by! Now, I did what any out of shape girl (who's also carrying around 30 extra pounds) would do. I ran after it! I thought maybe I could catch it on the way back down from around the block. Not so much. I saw it drop someone off about a block or so down and away he went.
So I had to walk back to that little bus house, where there were now a few people, and I couldn't help but think they were laughing at this girl who must be new to the bus system. Anyway, their bus shows up, so I'm left alone again. But, just then, another 61C comes around the corner, and I jump on. The rest was smooth sailing. I had a seat all to myself (and as we got closer to Oakland and more people got on I'd think "PLEASE don't sit with me...." I know this isn't a huge deal - but yet, to me it was. I was so scared this morning! I hope soon I look like the girl across from me who was just chilling with her coffee and looked like she enjoyed the ride. My iPod knew exactly what to play this morning, I think she felt my vibe.
Now to survive the ride home...we'll see how that goes!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yea Amber! I knew you could handle it. The sitting by strangers weirdness fades. Especially when the choices are sit by a stranger or stand :o)

Emmy said...

YAY Amber!! I'm very proud of you. I've been riding the bus for many years now & still hope that no one sits next to me! (though I don't usually get that lucky)