Friday, February 26, 2010

The Zoo Class

Due to weather, Noah's zoo class was cancelled last Friday. We did manage to get him in to the class on Saturday though, so it wasn't a total disappointment. Walt was under the weather so I got to go with him...I was secretly happy! Not that Walt was sick, but that I got to go!

I don't have any pictures, there really weren't any picture taking opportunities, and besides, none of the other mothers took pictures and I didn't want to be "that" mom.

The class was great though and Noah had a blast. First they watched a little video about what zookeepers do, then the "teacher" showed them pictures taken at our zoo of the zookeepers taking care of the animals. Then, they got to meet and touch Bindi the lizard. I love how 4 and 5 year olds just blurt out whatever come to their mind. "What does she eat?" "Can we see her walk?"

We made a craft - a zookeeper vest made out of a grocery bag. It's really cute. And then, they got to meet and pet Bernie, the guinea pig. The best part though, was that we got to go in the "behind the scenes" area of the education complex. This is where all of the animals that they use in the education programs live. The zookeeper was there, and showed them all of the different food that is in the fridge. (Including frozen rats and mice...ick!) And even fed a few of them while we were there - a fox, a porcupine, some other thing that looked like a kangaroo (I forget it's name). Noah's favorite part was that the opossum ate yogurt, just like him. Now when I ask him what he wants for lunch he says "Yo-grit, just like the possom". (I love how he says yogurt!) I swear the parrot or macaw or whatever it was was watching me and somehow knew that I hate birds. At one point it let out this big screech and I think I screamed louder than the kids! Noah was always right up in front when the keeper would open the cage and feed them - he's definitely not one to hang back and miss out!

Finally, we got to meet Flower, the skunk. She was in a little fenced in area and the instructor fed her meal worms and she gobbled them up. It was a fun time, and Noah has told me that I can the secretary at his zoo. My dad and Walt are in charge of helping him pick up poop. HA!

No comments: