Friday, June 26, 2009

Sleep Studies, Tonsils and Adenoids...Oh My!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Noah needed to see an ENT about his tonsils. At the first appointment, it was determined that he does have extra large adenoids that block his nose and that those would definitely have to come out -- he wanted us to go for a sleep study to determine if his tonsils would come out as well.

Last Thursday, we headed out to Wexford for the study. The Tech had us put in a movie that we brought and then she came in with her cart full of wires. She glued 8 electrodes to his head, several on his face, a few on his chest/belly, two on each leg - plus he had to wear this thing that went between his lip and under his nose and one of those oxygen tubes (like where the two prongs go up your nose). My poor baby looked like a robot! I have no idea how he even slept - but he fell alseep right away. And he really took it all in stride -- I think I'd have cried if they wanted to hook me all up like that. They told us it would take 2-3 weeks for results.

On Monday morning, the ENT's office called us and informed us that he does have sleep apnea and they wanted us to come in for our follow up appointment on Tuesday morning. Wow! Already, they were fast! As it turns out, the doctor that reviewed the study was so concerned about Noah, that she emailed his doctor over the weekend. He stops breathing 19 times per hour.

At the appointment, he advised us that of course because his tonsils are obstructing his breathing and causing the apnea, he wants them out ASAP. Like within a week. He also ordered an EKG because the stopping breathing can cause heart problems - which was probably one of the scariest things that has ever been said to me. So we schedule the surgery (for Tues, June 30), head for pre-op bloodwork and an EKG. And here I thought we'd be in and out just like the last appointment! (I am happy to report that his EKG did come back normal, thank God!)

Typically, they do the tonsils/adenoids surgery as outpatient. But, because of him having the apnea, they want him to stay overnight, in the ICU. Again, I know it's just precautionary and because there will be a doctor there at all times...but hearing that my child has to be in the ICU scared me so much. And of course, they have to tell you the worst case scenario, which most likely won't happen (he could get fluid in his lungs as his body learns to breathe without obstruction), but it's still a lot to take in.

So if you have some prayers or good thoughts to offer to Noah on Tuesday, we would appreciate them. I will be happy when all of this is over - I haven't slept well since we found out, I must check on him (to make sure he's breathing) a hundred times a night.

5 comments:

gwennythepooh said...

So many prayers for you guys. We're here if you need anything at all!

Amanda said...

That is some scary stuff. Good thing it is being taken care of ASAP! You guys will be in my thoughts. It is nice the doctors are taking such good care of little Noah!

Ben and Cori Momma said...

I'm really glad that you got a call back so quickly! Hearing that news has to be scary and I'm sure you aren't going to be able to exhale fully until Noah is home Wednesday evening.
He will be in my prayers on Tuesday for sure! Stay strong Amber!

Unknown said...

Noah will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm positive everything will go well!

Unknown said...

Oh my Gosh Amber! That is so scary! We'll be thinking of you all for the next few days, and hoping that everything is smooth sailing. Hang in there!