Friday, September 5, 2008

School days


Tuesday was Noah's first day of pre-school. He goes to a small in-home daycare 3 days a week, so we really wanted him to get used to a more structured "school-like" atmosphere. His daycare provider's son attends the same preschool and she's going to pick him up one day a week for us when she also gets her son.

Anyway, Tuesday was the day. He got new shoes, some new clothes and a brand new "Honk" lunchbox. (translation: honk = The Incredible Hulk). All weekend he had talked about going to school and said he was excited. But, when he got up on Tuesday and I said "today's the day you're going to school!" He started to cry! I felt awful. He kept saying "but, do I have to stay there??" I tried to assure him that he would be there only a little bit and then we'd pick him up.
So off we went to school. He posed for a pic with his lunchbox and when we pulled in he said "That's my school!" But, when we got to his room, he started to cling on to me and climb up my legs. I hugged him and told him he should go play with the kids. He just cried more. (And my heart broke). But, his nice teacher Miss Trudy came over and just kind of gently moved him away from Walt and me, and said "Show me this new lunchbox you brought!" And when she did that, we took that as our cue to leave.
I called about a half an hour later to check on him and they told me he cried for a minute and then he was fine. He was on his way to music class. He loves music, so I knew that would be right up his alley.
After school, he ran to me and was excited to see me. He told us that he sang "Sallie the camel has two humps" and played an instrument. (Those little stick things you rub/bang together). He also has a new girlfriend - he doesn't know her name, but he says she plays doctor and she was wearing something red like a ballerina. (Who knows what that means!) He says he's ready to go back today, and I hope there aren't any tears when Walt drops him off.

No comments: